Tuesday, October 11, 2011

how sweet

last night my love and i got to go on a date. how sweet it was. thanks to the generosity of my mom we were able to steal away alone. without kids.

we ate. we talked. i sipped diet coke while talking uninterrupted to my favorite person on the planet.
like i said. very sweet. we talked of our past. dreamed of our future. celebrated the gifts we've been given.

then....this arrived. it is called the great wall of chocolate. it was very, VERY sweet.
we both slid our forks through the creamy chocolate, moist cake, and then drenched it in the rasberry sauce. as it passed our lips we smiled. mmm....it was so good.
sonny looked at me and said

"this is so good.
to remind us that God is good."

i let that soak in. so true. so sweet.

then i was transported to 1997. i remembered a young sonny. a young me. we were in a meeting of a team of college students who would go love on kids each wednesday night in a poor part of town filled with immigrants. when we pulled in with our 15 passenger van we were swarmed with children shouting with delight. we would be armed with candy. dulces. sweets.

during this meeting one of the team members was arguing that we shouldn't pass out candy anymore. it was unhealthy. full of sugar. and it made the kids hyper. i was beginning to be swayed by her polished points, although i felt disappointed. at that moment sonny piped in. he said it was jewish tradition to read the precepts of God to their children while putting drops of honey on their tongues. the ways of the Lord are delightful. they bring life. they are sweet. should we not do the same as we bring the love of God to these children?


How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
psalm 119:103

needless to say, i was in love. it would be years before we would start dating or talk of marriage, but i knew i wanted to share my life with this man. spending last night with him, like every night with him, was absolutely...sweet.

4 comments:

Jeana said...

Awww! I love this little snippet of your love story.

Christa Forsythe said...

I am absolutely D R O O L I N G over that wall of chocolate... so need to have one of those... right now would be perfect. Beautiful story... so thankful you two share a special love together! Loved it!

Jeannette said...

I LOVED reading this. Just beautiful. We love knowing the Varelas, and I love that I was able to experience one of those Wednesday nights with you...I will never forget it! It was amazing :)

Tonya said...

ah, I love that!! And I love that you shared it with us. :) You are such an amazing woman, and I am so glad to know you.