Tuesday, May 10, 2011

mimicking God

"Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children"
ephesians 5:1 (niv)

we are told many times in scripture to be like God. we are to "be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." luke tells us to "be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." these are wonderful traits to mimic as we try to have a family resemblance to a perfect God, but i think sometimes we forget other attributes of God we should imitate as well. like his creative nature. that is the very first thing we know of God in the first verse of the Bible. he is Creator. he loves the earth. he was "green" before there was even a language to express the word.

sonny decided to put his hands in the earth and nurture something as it grows just like our heavenly father. in doing this he is the proverbial "chip off the old block" and we are hoping our sons are "apples that don't fall far from the tree" as we strive to imitate our Creator.
first he made a bed from cinderblocks and the boys soaked it
next he brought in the soil. twelve HUNDRED pounds of it!
Ari and Noah helped fill up the bed
getting their hands (and feet, legs, arms, and faces) dirty

planting our vegetables...which we will hopefully enjoy at harvest time!
we are looking forward to many more lessons as we water, fertilize, pull out weeds, and watch things grow. a beautiful picture of our journey of faith.

4 comments:

Liz said...

This is great! Way to go!

Micah and Christa Forsythe said...

Funny! Before I read this post I was thinking about how I could have a garden this year... I am itching to get my fingers in the soil!!!!!!!! Looks amazing... I am sure you guys will love watching it grow... every year I am amazed at how food grows... and grows!

Jeana said...

Beautiful post! Every time I see a new garden I think about Jeremiah and God telling his people to build houses and plant gardens and find spouses for their children...in this land of captivity. This is not our true home, but the garden reminds me that the kingdom is now!

Tonya said...

Yeah! So glad you guys started your garden. :) All of my plants are growing like crazy, I can't wait to be able to eat our own stuff! And I planted enough to share too. :)