Wednesday, September 16, 2009

help!

the boys and i were in the waiting room at the doctor for our physicals that are required to be a foster family. there was a tv screen rolling powerpoint type public service announcements. "think you're entering menopause?" "ways to avoid diabetes" "how to move more" etc...
my 6 yr old delights in reading things most of us just glaze over....pool rules, caution signs at stores, pregnant woman and alcohol warnings, the list goes on. so it was no surprise that he was reading these slides. of course, when he was reading the topic was domestic violence. there were the list of signs..."is he controlling you?" "does he put you down and belittle you?" call the domestic hotline now! stop the cycle!! i anticipated there would be questions, but i never expected what came next. just as the nurse opened the door to call us back, ari gasped loudly and proceeded to shout with extreme concern on his face....'MOM! MOM!! NOAH IS ALWAYS trying to control me, AND he ALWAYS says mean things to me, and he's ALWAYS violent!! i NEED to call that number NOW!!"

help. do you think he would let it go when we went to get weighed? no. blood pressure? still urgently begging to call the number. did they cover this in the parenting books i read?

5 comments:

Becky said...

Oh Kristal this makes me laugh so hard at the things your son thinks of and understands and yet I feel so for you- I just shake my head. Kids always say the most interesting things in the most awkward places. Julia once told the doctor that her dad always beats her (referring to playing a memory game that they had been playing but that's not what it sounded like!) So I definitely feel your pain :) Hang in there and if you figure out this parenting thing completely- let me know :) Becky

lani said...

oh. my. i am laughing so hard. wish i'd known about that number when i had a little brother! :D

Liz_24 said...

You can't make this stuff up. I wonder many calls the operators of that phone line get a day from 6 year olds!

Tonya said...

Hee hee....

Monica said...

Okay, that's hilarious!! Thanks for the laugh.