Wednesday, May 13, 2009

incarceration



the other night i let ari (6 yrs old) watch the beginning of law and order with me while sonny was working.  (note to self...probably not a good idea).  looking for what the victim did the last few hours before her death led them to a drug dealer who sold prescription drugs.  ari had questions and i tried to explain the best i could.  he wanted to know if that guy was going to jail.  i told him it depended on the severity of the crime and his past criminal record BUT reminded ari that jail was not a fun place to be.  you couldn't go where you want, do what you want, or even eat what you want.  "you can't eat what you want?"  he asked.  i told him it was whatever the prison served, that was what you got.  "and if you don't eat it you don't get ANYTHING until the next meal?" right again, kiddo.  pause.  lightbulb moment lit up his face...."just like at OUR house!!"

5 comments:

darbishar said...

If I ever go to prison, I wan to go to your house :)

Becky said...

Ari so much reminds me of Julia- their wisdom and insight goes so much deeper than their age of only 6 1/2! Can't wait to get them together sometime soon. Thanks for making me chuckle and smile- Becky

lani said...

funny how much prison is like childhood ... not. :D

Tonya said...

Hee hee, out of the mouths of babes. :)

Jeana said...

I guess we serve food jail style, too. How many times have I said, "I'm so sorry you don't want to eat your dinner. You can have as much breakfast as you like tomorrow morning." Oy vey!

When my Noah saw the picture at the top your post he said, "I could really use some handcuffs for my pretend city." I was unaware that "Kid Town" had so much crime!