Monday, April 20, 2009

meatless mondays

mmmmm....this week we scored a yummy one.  this could easily be made for carnivores as well.  chicken sliced on top would be great.  it's easy, colorful, and delicious!  yes.  you're welcome:)  who knew beans in pasta sauce could be so filling, and so good?  of course, the feta cheese MAKES the entire meal so please don't skip it, although it would be alright without it.  oh!  and a shout out to tonya who sent me all these menu mailers that have vegetarian options...that's where i found this gem!  and to all of you who've said you have recipes for me to try....send 'em over!!
greek pasta with tomatoes
serves 6

3 14.5-oz. cans Italian-style diced tomatoes

1 1/2 19-oz. cans white (cannellini) beans, drained and rinsed

15 ounces fresh spinach, washed and chopped

12 ounces Penne pasta ( i used whole grain...yum!)

3/4 cup Feta cheese, crumbled

 

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

While pasta is cooking, mix together tomatoes and beans in a large skillet. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. 

Add spinach to sauce and cook for another 2 minutes, or until spinach wilts.

Serve sauce over pasta and top with Feta cheese.

 Per Serving: 457 Calories; 5g Fat; 23g Protein; 82g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber; 17mg Cholesterol; 289mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

 SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with a Greek salad (sliced tomatoes, crumbled Feta cheese, kalamata olives and a vinaigrette dressing) and steamed broccoli.  




4 comments:

Liz_24 said...

I'm so glad your doing this! I broached the topic of vegetarianism with Scott, and he wasn't totally opposed (not total, but at least a couple days a week). I'm trying to go veggie on lunch everyday too. Anyway, thanks again for the inspiration.

Tonya said...

You are very welcome!! I'm glad they are working out for you!! That looks really yummy!!!

darbishar said...

I may have to make this for lunch...thanks for the recipe!

Micah and Christa Forsythe said...

I am totally going to make this dish. It looks beautiful and sounds delicious... I can see how it has to be served with feta.. I mean why in the world would you leave out that wonderful substance! Plus.. while I am pregnant I totally crave pasta... hummmm I am hungry now! Thanks for sharing the recipe!