Wednesday, April 29, 2009

bonding

my husband is a HUGE lord of the rings fan and so i have seen the trilogy.  many times.  but, i have never read the original works by j.r.r. tolkein and he has always wanted me to.  now, this isn't my first choice in reading material, but i must say there is something so special about reading a story together (with your spouse, children, friends, etc) and then getting together to watch the film version.  we have done this before and have done it with our kids and it is such a unique and memorable experience.  we even watched the "uncut" extended version and everything was so much clearer to me this time!  now, i need to start book two:)

7 comments:

darbishar said...

I love those books! Those and Narnia are my favorite series. So happy you guys are introducing them to your kids :)

jeannette said...

yay for husbands who are passionate about LOR!!!! and yay for kristal who loves her hubby and takes interest in what he enjoys. yay for so many things about the varelas!! the gerths are big fans of the varelas :)

Sarah said...

My hubby loves these books and movies too! Every year he has a Lord of the Rings marathon and all his buddies that love it come and they watch all 3 uncuts in one day!!! Craziness. But I have to say after watching them several times now they have grown on me and I enjoy them too. I haven't ventured into the books though.

Jeana said...

Reading the books was SO much easier after watching to movies. I think because I then had a face to go with each name. Otherwise I got ultra confused with all the Theoden/Theodred/Theomar/Theowho??? Plus add in that all the swords and rings have names (and sometimes multiple names) and I was so lost! I do like the movies but I always skip the Orc parts--too gruesome!

Liz_24 said...

Good luck lady! I made it through book 1 and couldn't go any further! I love the movies too.

Tonya said...

Way to go for enjoying to read, and for making it a family experience! It is wonderful to model reading, and show that you enjoy it, so that your kids will enjoy it as well! More people should read instead of being tied to electronic devices all of the time!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

That is awesome! We need to do soemthing like that around here. BTW, my hubby is a HUGE Lord of the Rings fan too. Seen the trilogy many times!