Thursday, January 29, 2009

dumpster dive!

i know my mom will say "i raised you better than that" and my husband will say "if you need something...i'll buy it for you" and in both cases i would say...you don't understand treasure hunting!  i have been honing my skills in the area of finding old things, free things, disregarded things, and restoring them to a useful place in my home or our family's life.  this oftentimes takes some creativity and even some "fringe" behavior.  never illegal.  never dangerous.  just a little kookie.  
several weeks later i was getting ready for my first craft show.  i only get a 6' foot table and the rest of my product needs to be hung on upright, freestanding displays.  i checked craigslist.  a pegboard would run me a couple hundred dollars!  USED!!  i knew this would not work and as i was in the garage one day i saw my shutters.  the lightbulb didn't just go off...it exploded!  they were PERFECT!  much cuter, trendier, and cheaper than the alternative and there they were in my own house!  i used some curtain clips i had to attach my items and they were so cute.  not a penny invested.  i didn't even have to paint them as "shabby chic" is all the rage.  
thank you for letting me share this excitement with you.  let me tell you...i will cherish these display stands much more than anything i purchased in a store.  they involved much more of a rush than any luxury purchase ever has.



8 comments:

Becky said...

Kristal- I am so proud of you and your creativity. You never cease to amaze me :) I love it! Your crafts are so cute. Hope you did well. Love ya- Becky

Jeana said...

You are a craft ROCKSTAR! I love, love, love the shutters. I want to hear more about this craft show--what did you sell? How did it go? I tried to zoom in on the picture but all I could see were the tutus and clipboards.

Jeana said...

You are a craft ROCKSTAR! I love, love, love the shutters. I want to hear more about this craft show--what did you sell? How did it go? I tried to zoom in on the picture but all I could see were the tutus and clipboards.

Tonya said...

Amazing! What a crafty woman you are!! Let me know about your craft shows, I'd love to come give you some business!! :)

Liz_24 said...

You're the queen of awesome! I don't know any better way to say it!

C and G said...

look how cute and crafty you are!!!

in Canby they have one day of the year where you can put almost anything (except dishwashers and such) out at the curb and the disposal co. comes around and picks it all up. you see all kinds of cars driving up and down the street going super slow as people check out other peoples "junk" and many times people stop, wait for you to pass, get out, make sure no one is looking and go for it. it always cracks me up because as funny as they look i know that i would definitely not be above stopping if i saw something that i wanted :)

K said...

I've dumpster dived . . . .not something I've shared with anyone before. I'll do it again too. Proud of it too!

Carolyn said...

Your display table looks awesome!