Thursday, October 30, 2008

i heart pumpkin

growing up my favorite moment at thanksgiving was when aunt arla would unveil the pies. the apple one could fall on the floor for all i cared. my eyes (and salivary glands) were intent on the pumpkin. it was the one time a year i got to taste its sweet deliciousness and i savored it.
when i grew up, i started to become exposed to other pumpkiny goodness. a whole new world has been opened up and i intend to make good use of it. who knew there was more than pumpkin pie?! and who knew you didn't have to have just one slice a year?!
here's a few of the ways i've used pumpkin this fall. i have found MANY more recipes i want to try, but i thought i'd only bore you with the ones i've actually made...
pumpkin puree. this is what i use when a recipe calls for canned pumpkin. i just put oil on the outside of a whole pumpkin and stuck it in a 350 degree oven until it was soft. the skin peels right off and the goop in the middle scoops out with ease.
speaking of the goop...if you want to save those seeds, rinse them, salt them, and bake them they are an oh so yummy, crunchy treat.
pumpkin bread. mmmmm.....a classic. this recipe was great, even when i halved the sugar.
how did that picture get in there? my love for pumpkin is not just limited to their taste. they are SO CUTE!

this is a pumpkin cream cheese my friend nicolette was kind enough to share with me (she understands my pumpkin obsession). with fruit or on a bagel...delish!

and my personal favorite.
pumpkin.
chocolate chip.
cookies.
seriously. what could be better?

Cream: 1 1/2 C shortening, 4 C sugar, 4 eggs, 1 Large can libbys pumpkin, 3 tsp vanilla. Add to this: 6 - 6 1/2 cups flour (she said it's usually about 6 cups if she's using gold medal flour, and 6 1/2 cups for other brands...), 3 tsp soda, 3 tsp baking powder, 3 tsp cinnamon, 3 tsp nutmeg, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 bag chocolate chips (or you could substitute raisins). Bake at 375 for 15 minutes

5 comments:

Liz_24 said...

PUMPKIN CHOC CHIP COOKIES! OMG!

lani said...

wow, your description of pumpkin makes it sound almost edible to me. ;) yes, i must admit i'm a pumpkin scrooge - i <3 pumpkin candles though!

Thrifty Cottage Dreams said...

Funny, we just made pumpkin bread for the teachers for tomorrow! I LOVE ANYTHING PUMPKIN! I had the greatest pumpkin chocolate chip bars with cream cheese icing from a church bake sale the other day! YUMMM!

tamara said...

wow, sounds wonderful! you remind me of lani and her love of fall and autumn colors and feel. did you get my email for you address. thanks for the note! love you dearly!

Tonya said...

Pumpkin is so yummy! Those pumpkin chocolate chip cookies you gave me were WONDERFUL! I didn't even share with my kids, lol. I ate all but one, which my best friend Jamie swiped. They were fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing!

I STILL have your thank you card from Starla's b-day party in my purse! I forgot to give it to you at the halloween lunch. So if you will just e-mail me your home address, I will get it in the mail, and then will have your address for any future invites, etc. :)