Tuesday, April 22, 2008

the big green and real problems


so i whine a lot. the person who hears the most of it is my mom. i try to shield sonny from some of it, at least, and the rest of the general public just doesn't want to hear it. well, neither do sonny or my mom, but they're stuck with me.

i don't even remember the subject of my whining that day. it was probably our over $11,000 tax bill that came a few weeks ago (ouch!) or some other financial woe. my mom imparted these words that she heard recently and have been steeping in my brain ever since...."if it can be fixed with money...then it's not really a problem." wow. think about it. think of all the incredibly wealthy people who could have made my little tax debt disappear like it was throwing a penny in a wishing well. that is not REAL pain. true pain is the stuff that NOTHING can fix (except the grace of God). the ache in your heart when relationship is broken, illness looms, death steals, your child suffers. that is a real problem.

not only did these words help lessen the blow of my "tragedy", and give me a new appreciation for what i have, they also put life into perspective a bit. if the "problems" i don't want are the ones money can't fix; then why do i spend so much time and energy trying to have money and neglect the things that are unfixable by it? does that make sense? why am i spinning my wheels to make more money (not that financial wisdom isn't good) to the detriment of my relationship with my husband and children? why would i let my child be raised by strangers so that i could have more financial freedom, but later be devastated by regret and possible negative consequences on my children from my lack of involvement?

money can solve a lot of things and for that i'm grateful. i want to focus my life on the things it has no bearing on.

hmmm....does this remind anyone of something Jesus said? difference between earthly wealth and heavenly treasures? i don't know.....

2 comments:

lani said...

ok, that is officially one of my favorite quotes ever - and so timely. please pass a "thank you" on to your mom...

kristal said...

will do, lani. thanks for the comments and sharing life in blogsphere with me:)